Friday, January 11, 2013

Breaking Ground



I finally mustered the courage (and practice) to start attending some open mic nights.

Last night I went to the Christopher Street Coffeehouse Open Mic, which is held at the St. John's Church in West Village.  This open mic is acoustic, but they have one that is run on a different (regular) schedule, that is mic'd.  It also attracts a larger crowd.  That will probably be the next step.

I like this place.  A friend of mine introduced me to it.  The community is very welcoming.

I performed Cross That First Mile, and Breaking Heart. I was extremely pleased to see my wife, J, walk through the doors, halfway through the first song.  She supports me in everything.  She was quick with the iPhone and snapped a video of the performance.  It flips around in the beginning, but you can get the idea.



Open Mic Chris St Coffeehouse from Skika on Vimeo.

It had been a long while since I last performed in front of an audience.  I was inexplicably nervous, and botched some fingerpicking and sang a few notes off key, here-and-there.  I need to continue doing these to get over all that nonsense.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey brother, thanks a bunch! I can see that one being up your alley. It's too bad we couldn't get an entire recording of that one, but I am happy with what I can get.

      I recorded the whole thing in one take, for a songwriting contest, if you want to hear it in its entirety.

      Why is there nothing new on Awdio Sawce? :)

      Delete