Thursday, October 25, 2012

Blowhard.

#%(*#%!@(^%@#)(%& !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, all along my path of learning, I read about this problem many a time, but never thought it would happen to me.

I must have overblown on one of the notes in my harmonica and damaged a reed.

The funny thing is that I know exactly when it happened.  It is my D harmonica and the last time I used it was in a song circle to booth "Me and My Old Man".  I hadn't used that key since then and last I picked it up, it has a dead note on hole 4 draw. 

The frustrating thing is that I have been researching harmonicas and this was one of my expensive ones, the Hohner Marine Band.  Originally, I had bought the bargain set of 3-for-$10 from Jambone and was happy for a while, until I tried a higher end harmonica and realized that they can play so much smoother.  So I started investing into Marine Band and loved them, at ~ $37.  And there is no guarantee that it's the last of this mishap, everyone around the harmonica forums and tutorials says that you will ruin a few in your learning process until you get a complete control of your breath. 

I am very paranoid now, I used my C Marine Band the other night and noticed myself compensating for breathing by overblowing/overdrawing.  Sucks.  Pun intended.


Not sure whether I want to blow my way through Marine Band, at $37 per, while learning.  I will probably find something in the middle, like Blues Bender.  Another trip to Guitar Center, ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment