Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Formulate Your Thoughts

I somehow crawled up into some sort of wellness blog limbo. 

By following comments, and their respective owners, from a friend's blog, I found my way to a whole world of self-proclaimed savants of mental, physical, and spiritual well being. 

I must admit that I found some inspiring blog posts and inspiring personalities.  However, one pet peeve that got down to my subcutaneous tissues is the formulated post title.

"Seven Ways to Covet Love Today" 

"3 Amazing Ways Sorrow Can Fulfill You"

"57 Angles to Lay a Brick"

"11 Ways to Wax a Dolphin"




Evidently, these titles above are fictitious.  But, what is it that makes people believe that their writing will be more attractive if they apply this formula to their titles?  Is it those lame, self-improvement books, the likes of which plague the shelves of Borders?

One of those lame books, I am reading right now.  Perhaps therein lies my real frustration.

3 comments:

  1. Ej, poceo sam i ja ovo sranje...proncitaj

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem comes from "marketers" and "blogging gurus" teaching beginner bloggers that they need to make their titles attractive, otherwise people won't click through to read their stuff. I think that's total bull... it's a cheesy salesman tactic. I'd rather give people titles that hint at (or simply describe) what the content is about and then let people come. If I need to sell my content by crafting fancy titles, then I shouldn't be publishing the content in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raam!

    Exactly, my brother. It's a pity because I, personally, developed quite an allergy to these formulaic titles. And with this prejudice I have towards them, I might actually be skipping over some interesting content.

    You obviously know where I ended up...

    Thanks for stopping by and reading.

    ReplyDelete